Warning: Use of undefined constant HEAD_LLENGUA - assumed 'HEAD_LLENGUA' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/rocasin/public_html/ayllon.info/include/head2.php on line 19 Ayllon - Poble Espanyol - Originals and Reproductions
Going round the 'Pueblo Español' you
can see two reproductions of buildings in Ayllon. The one
you are looking at now is perhaps the oldest civil building in Ayllon.
It has been used for different purposes and in the early years of
the last century, it served as the barracks for the Civil Guard
of the town. It was renovated around about 1990 when the ground
floor became a branch of the Caja de Ahorros de Segovia savings
bank, and the first floor was turned into a centre for the retired.
The second reproduction is this palace which
has been declared a national monument. Inside there are beautiful
pieces of craftsmanship and valuable objects. Although it is known
by some as the palace of Don Álvaro de Luna, that could not
have been true since he was beheaded in 1453 and Don Juan de Contreras
ordered work to begin on the building in 1497 as the inscription
on the façade says and which can be seen below:
This wide Isabelline façade, the doorway
of which is framed with a Franciscan cordon with three shields leaning
towards the left, is a wall with battlements and there are eight
crosspieces on its edges. The following inscription, in Gothic script,
can be seen::
"REINANDO EN CASTILLA Y EN ARAGÓN
LOS MUY ALTOS PRÍNCIPES DON FERNANDO Y DOÑA ISABEL
ESTA/CASA MANDO HACER EL MUY VIRTUOSO FIJODALGO: JUAN CONTRERAS
EL AÑO MCCCXCVII".
(In the reign of his Royal Highness Don Fernando and her Royal Highness
Doña Isabel, in Castilla and Aragon, the honourable and noble Juan
Contreras had this house built in the year MCCCXCVII).
It seems this character, who eventually came to live in Ayllon,
was one of the most important aldermen of Segovia and was present at the
coronation of the Catholic Queen Isabel which was held in Saint Michael's
atrium on the 13th of December, 1497.